Fundamentals of Logo Design In this logo design online class, you'll learn how to design logos that will strengthen the visual image of your own or your client's company. This course explores the development of logos through a series of case studies and real-life design tips. Each exercise combines a written, conceptual component with hands-on opportunities for creating an effective logo.
Class Projects and Objectives:
This online class is packed with information to help you create graphic design logos. Students will meet the following objectives:
- Develop an understanding of the origins of logo design, including the original purpose of logos in conveying ownership, origin, and social rank or status.
- Develop an understanding of the main aspects of the research stage of logo design: communicating with clients, pricing, researching competitors, and researching typography.
- Research and critique logo designs in a specific business area.
- Create three basic type-only logos for a chocolate shop based on researched typography.
- Develop an understanding of the three stages of a professional logo design process.
- Brainstorm and write up three concepts for investment bank logos.
- Create three preliminary logos demonstrating each of the three investment bank concepts.
- Develop an understanding of how a visual concept for a logo design is developed and honed.
- Analyze and critique the strengths and weaknesses of different logos.
- Develop an understanding of the importance of simplicity, shape, and positive/negative space in logo design.
- Present an informed commentary explaining why a logo design is effective or ineffective.
- Fine-tune and finalize an investment bank logo including three rules for its usage.
Class Instructor Bio:
Boris Margolin is a graphic designer with 10 years of experience. Boris has worked as an in-house designer for several major international corporations including CIGNA, MetLife, and Nypro. While living in New Zealand Boris worked at a brand development studio and at Victoria University. His design work has ranged from advertising design, to identity design, brand development, Web design and administration to Flash application development. In his spare time Boris runs his own niche design company catering to unconventional companies and emerging markets. Boris earned a BS in Graphic Design at Mount Ida College in Massachussetts.
- Computer with Internet connection (56 Kbps modem or faster).
- Adobe Illustrator (recommended) or Adobe Photoshop
- Basic experience in the software packages needed for this course.