Advanced Layout Design The art of what goes where on a page or an editorial spread is called layout design. And although the end results may appear effortless, designing layouts can be a creative challenge for a graphic designer.
In this course you will tackle advanced-level layout projects that will trigger the creative juices in your brain. You'll build strong foundations for your pages, explore creative applications for various elements, and learn tricks for maintaining page structure. Case studies will analyze specific examples of layout design considered to be classics. Course projects include a 4-page magazine spread, a book-jacket design, and even a calendar. Stretch out and add sophisticated print designs to your portfolio.
Class Projects and Objectives:
This online training class is packed with layout design concepts and techniques. Students will meet the following objectives:
- Develop an understanding of the structural foundations of layout design, creating a grid and placing fundamental elements in a page layout.
- Create an editorial layout for a 4-color design magazine, using a grid system as a foundation: manuscript, column, modular, or hierarchical.
- Identify and apply geometric approaches to layout design, using ratios, proportions, lines, and shapes.
- Create page layout templates using geometric proportions: golden rectangle, golden spiral, or root 2 rectangle.
- Develop an understanding of the principles of balance, negative space, and focal points in a composition.
- Develop an understanding of techniques for unifying a page design, including framing, page bleeds, layering, and proximity.
- Explore and apply alternative layout techniques and approaches to composition.
- Design a calendar using alternative layout techniques and/or approaches to composition.
Class Instructor Bio:
Thom McKenna is the Owner/Senior Creative Director of FlatironWorks, a graphic/multimedia design firm based in New York City . Thom has over 12 years experience in the graphic design industry, including multimedia and television work within the advertising, design and publishing world. As Art Director of Emerging Markets, an international daily newspaper covering the major IMF/World Bank and Regional Bank meetings, Thom has published on-site in the following countries: Argentina, Bulgaria, China, Ivory Coast, England, France, Germany, Israel, Italy, Kenya, Mexico, New Zealand, Nigeria, The Philippines, Portugal, Russia and Spain. His current clients include Sports Illustrated, JP Morgan, American Express, AIG, Thomson Financial, Thomson Publishing, Berlitz International, Citibank, Tower Air, and Merrill Lynch.
- Computer with Internet connection (56 Kbps modem or faster).
- Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, and Adobe Photoshop or equivalent programs.
- Basic experience in graphic design and the software packages needed for this course.